Skippering at a higher level.
Price: € 925
Course Duration: 6 Days, but 7 Days accommodation
Minimum Age: 17+ (under 18, must be accompanied by an adult)
It is important to have the points below covered before you come out so we can concentrate on the practical side (sailing in the sun!).
- 15 days, 2 days as skipper, 300 miles, 8 night hours
- Sailing should be to Day Skipper Level
- Knowledge to the equivalent of RYA Coastal Skipper Theory. This can be completed on one of our online courses or a shore based version.
The RYA Coastal Skipper Practical (non tidal) is a six day course designed to teach the skills necessary to skipper a yacht safely by day or night in non tidal waters, as well as becoming a confident skipper on longer passages both during the day and at night.
The course syllabus includes:
- Passage planning – thinking about longer voyages
- Preparation for sea – what to eat and drink on longer trips
- Pilotage – how to plan and enter a new harbour
- Passage making ability as a skipper – being ready for most things
- Yacht handling under sail and power – trimming the sails and mooring smoothly
- Adverse weather – what to do when it gets breezy and bumpy
- Emergency situations – knowing what to do and doing it well
This practical course does not have an exam at the end of the week, instead it comes down to an assessment by the instructor throughout the week. During the week our instructor will go through the syllabus and help you work on any points you struggle with to make sure that you have the best chance of becoming a confident skipper. We do not gaurentee a pass of this course but we will do our best to help you every step of the way!
Our training yachts both have 3 double cabins and a convertible saloon meaning there is enough room to technically sleep 8. However to keep our guests comfortable we keep our training boat numbers to 5 plus the instructor, but only when cabin arrangements suit. We will not make you share a cabin with a stranger!
The prices for the course include the following:
- Yacht and instructor for the duration of the course
- Bedding and towels onboard
- Breakfast and lunch, (dinner is up to you and it is not compulsory to feed the instructor)
- All practical course material and safety equipment
- Wet weather gear.
- 2015 Outboard motor and 2014 Dinghy for the duration
- End cleaning of the yacht
Although the weather changes throughout the year our prices stay the same for our RYA courses. So don’t worry about avoiding the school holidays just book when it suits you!
Please note that we require at least 3 onboard for a course to take place. We will obviously let you know if there is a possibility of the course not going ahead at least 2 months prior to start date. The course will be fully refundable if this is the case.
You are also able to book out the entire training yacht if you would prefer one on one instruction. Please contact us for information on this as it will depend on availability of instructors and yachts.