Price: € 925
Course Duration: 6 Days, but 7 Days accommodation
Minimum Age: 16+ (under 18, must be accompanied by an adult)
Pre-course Experience: It is important to have the points below covered before you come out so we can concentrate on the practical side (sailing in the sun!).
RYA Competent Crew or equivalent experience on a yacht (5 days yacht sailing, 100 miles),
Knowledge to the equivalent of RYA Day Skipper Theory. This can be done online or on one of our shore based courses.
If you want to skipper a yacht yourself then this is the course for you!
The course is designed to help you become a skipper that can take charge of a yacht in daytime hours, in familiar waters. This course is now classed as a tidal course, meaning you can use this qualification in tidal waters.
The syllabus covered during the week includes:
- Yacht preparation – getting the yacht ready to sail, what sails to use and engine checks. As well as getting the yacht stocked with supplies.
- Sail handling – being able to raise and lower the sails, as well as how to trim and reef when necessary.
- Navigation – the main theory part of the qualification. Plotting fixes, waypoints, dead reckoning, estimated positon, knowledge of buoyage, use of depth gauge and being able to keep a log.
- Tidal heights and streams, how to plan for tidal factors.
- Pilotage – preparing a plan to come in and out of harbour, use of leading lines and transits.
- Meteorology – can interpret a marine weather forecast.
- Rules of the road – a working knowledge of the collision regulations, can deal with situations.
- Maintenance – where to look if something goes wrong.
- Engines – basic maintenance
- Emergency situations – fire, sinking etc. How best to deal with the worst.
- Yacht handling under power and sail – mooring bows-to, stern-to, side to, on a buoy and at anchor.
- Passage planning – plan the route for the day, avoiding hazards and getting there the easiest route.
The practical course does not have an exam at the end of the week, instead it comes down to an assessment by the instructor throughout the week. During the week our instructor will help you work on any points you struggle with to make sure that you are fully confident skipper. We do not gaurentee a pass of this course but we will do our best to help you every step of the way!
Although the weather changes throughout the year our prices stay the same for our RYA courses. So don’t worry about avoiding the school holidays just book when it suits you!
Our training yachts have 3 double cabins and a convertible saloon meaning there is enough room to technically sleep 8. However to keep our guests comfortable we keep our training boat numbers to 5 plus the instructor, but only when cabin arrangements suit. We will not make you share a cabin with a stranger!
The prices for the course include the following:
- Yacht and instructor for the duration of the course
- Bedding and towels onboard
- Breakfast and lunch, (dinner is up to you and it is not compulsory to feed the instructor)
- All practical course material and safety equipment
- Wet weather gear. (If needed!)
- Dinghy and Outboard for the duration of the course.
- End cleaning of the yacht
Please note that we require at least 3 onboard for a course to take place. We will obviously let you know if there is a possibility of the course not going ahead at least 2 months prior to start date. The course will be fully refundable if this is the case.
You are also able to book out the entire training yacht if you would prefer one on one instruction. Please contact us for information on this as it will depend on availability of instructors and yachts.